Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Spicy Pork Noodles


The sun shone on the weekend with something like conviction for the first time in a month so though I didn't go for the bbq option I couldn't resist a stir fry Sunday night. It is theoretically part of my freezer clearing exercise - I had some egg noodles and a piece of pork fillet squirrelled away but really it was because it is quick and easy and a joy to eat. It is wonderfully bright in your mouth, with little sparkles of heat from the chilli and the cool silk of wilted bok choy, hot sweeet bursts of ginger against the slither of noodles it is a symphony of textures and flavours. No, really, it is.


Spicy Pork Noodles
2 tbspns peanut oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbspn fresh grated ginger
2 tbspns chilli sauce
200g/ 7oz pork fillet, thinly sliced
2 tbspns light soy sauce
500g/1lb pack fresh egg noodles, rinsed
3 tbspns water
250g/1/2 lb bok choy, washed and trimmed
1 tbspn oyster sauce
Generous handful of coriander, chopped
1 tbspn sesame oil

Heat the oil in a wok till smoking then add garlic, ginger and chilli sauce and stir fry briskly till aromatic then toss in the meat and continue to stir fry till it loses its pinkness, 2 or 3 minutes. Add the soy and stir briefly then toss in the noodles and the water and stir to combine. When the wok begins to simmer, cover and reduce the heat for 5 minutes. Take off the lid, increase the heat and add the bok choy and the oyster sauce and stir fry till the greens are wilted. Turn off the heat and add coriander and sesame oil, mix through and serve immediately in deep bowls.

From getting the pan out to steaming hot serving in 20 minutes - bliss. The above makes generous servings for 2 people but I was home alone - the man was eating steak sandwiches in Hong Kong - so I had the rest cold on Monday for my lunch. I wasn't sure it would be edible but I'm pleased to say it was fabulous.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This all looks great. I love this kind of food... Keep on writing

Margaret
www.homeorganics.ie

bron said...

Thank you. I love this kind of food too and I'm looking forward to summer for the joy of a lot more noodles...